Monday, April 7, 2008

American Dream, Take Two

Ouch.

I had forgotten how painful house hunting can be. Don't get me wrong: I love it. I love looking at houses and figuring out where everything from the kids' beds to the annual Christmas tree will fit in a house's layout. I tend to step back, look at the whole thing, and decided if I like it. If I do, then I pay attention to the more important details: the foundation, electric, plumbing. And in beautiful, metaphoric fashion, Ian is the exact opposite: He zeroes in on the important details before deciding if a house is worth liking. So while he's the basement checking out dark corners with a flashlight, I'm standing in the living room trying to decide where the piano I don't yet have will best fit. Somewhere in the middle, our viewpoints meet.

After the wiring has been deemed acceptable and before I search Craigslist for a decent, "free" piano, we have much work to do. And it's not always fun. It involves money and emotion, negotiating sale prices and deciding, no matter how much we love a home, what our maximum offer will be. It's an excercise in trust--trust in each other, trust in the process, trust that we know our limits and stick to them. It's also an excercise in patience, something I need to work on. Something I need to have, if I'm going to find the right home to purchase for my family in my second tour of marriage and the American Dream.

No matter what, we'll know the house when we find it, not only because we'll like it enought to place an offer, but because at some point our offer--or counter offer to a counter offer--will be accepted.

Until then, I'm glad I don't have too much packing to do, considering I purged so much of my excess "stuff" when I sold my house last year. We all knew this current situation wouldn't be permanent; my basement is full of empty moving boxes, ready and waiting, to prove it.

On another, completely different topic: There are so many movies I've yet to see, and even more I want to watch again (and again, and again). I'm looking forward to a hot summer night when I'll throw this in the DVD player for the thousandth time:



Happy Monday.
xo

1 comment:

Renee said...

"No matter what, we'll know the house when we find it, not only because we'll like it enought to place an offer, but because at some point our offer--or counter offer to a counter offer--will be accepted."

That's said so perfectly. What a great balance you and Ian have, you'll find the home of your dreams in no time. I can't wait to see it!

xo