Tuesday, April 1, 2008

No Foolin'

Tomorrow my cousin Joey heads off to boot camp. He's joining the Army. I'm proud of him, because this has something he has wanted to do for a long time. I'm happy for him, because he's happy. And I'm terrified for him.

He's 22. He's a big boy and knows what he's doing. He also comes from a long line of military men. Our Uncle Jack was a Navy Seal--a Special Ops guy. And our grandfather served in the Navy in WWII. Seriously accomplished soldiers, these men. Especially Jack, who played a significant and clandestine role in a few key moments in more recent American History.

It has only been a couple of years since I first met Joey, since my biological father's side of the family was estranged from me for most of my life. But I made some big steps to change that in recent years, and my life is all the richer for it. For purely selfish reasons, Joey's leaving hurts: I wanted to get to know him better, and now he's going away.

But at least my kids will have a new hero. All of us will.

Love you, Joe.




xo

No comments: