Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ich! Ni! San! Shi! or Om or something

Sean's getting further into Tae Kwon Do. Although he's usually tired and out of it by the time class rolls around at the end of the day each week, he loves it. He's digging the discipline and vibing off the philosophy. So positively cool to see that in a six-year-old.

And then there is baseball, with its own tenets and structure. Both of my children love the sport, which makes me proud if only because the game is, as Yogi Berra put it, "90% mental--the other half is physical." Honestly, if they were really into football, I'd be worried.

I'm glad my kids are interested in competitive sports and martial arts. I was a very anti-sport kid, evolving into a skier and reluctant high school distance runner before finding a true passion for yoga and, of all things, running in my adult life. And, yeah, I like to ride my bike. But I'm not into the whole bike culture that's so hip these days. I have a bike. I ride it. I also have shoes. And I wear them. Same difference to me.

This weekend I head up to Boston for the Yoga Journal Conference. I cannot wait. I'm so excited for this weekend and so badly in need of it: A weekend alone, spread out in a king-sized bed all by myself, enjoying room service in a posh hotel and spending my days in intensive yoga sessions with the likes of Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa, who is one of my heroes, and Ana Forrest, among others.

I'm also hoping to hook up with my friend Julia on Saturday night. She has lived in Boston for years, and we used to be close. We lost touch with each other, drifting apart after Sean was born. We reconnected a couple of years ago and, because we're on the same wavelength, she tracked me down and gave me a call the same week I had been thinking of calling her before my trip to Beantown. Hopefully we can connect and catch up. We have lots of catching up to do. She and I are always good for picking up right where we left off. And she is an excellent friend, full of as much chagrined wisdom as she is full hilarious stories.

My favorite story of Julia's is from a couple of years ago when she met the famed Japanese author Haruki Murakami at a cocktail party in Boston. Julia has a way of finding herself in such situations.

Julia was introduced to the man. "This is Haruki," a friend said.

"Ah...like Haruki Murakami," Julia offered.

"I am Haruki Murakami," the author replied.

"Right," Julia laughed. "And I'm Dorothy Parker." And she laughed some more.

Um, but it was Murakami.

She couldn't wait to tell me that story.


So this weekend I'll get my Om on. I'm sure I'll also work my ass off and be pretty sore and sportin' a full chakra tune-up before my drive home Sunday night. Tonight Sean and I head off to Tae Kwon Do. And the rest is the rest, as always. That's a good thing.


Happy Wednesday.
xo

No comments: