Thursday, May 8, 2008

Leave a Message and I'll Call You Back

The sewing machine, thread kit, and new copy of Sewing for Dummies is waiting for me on my dining room table. The kids didn't know what to make of it when they came home to it the other day. They thought it was some kind of robot.

Today, if USPS package tracking is accurate, I'll receive my choice fabrics from reprodepot.com. And I ordered yet another book (recommended by Heide) and some sweet tin toy patterned fabric from yet another site.

I cannot wait to get busy with my new machine. Getting this new hobby off the ground is going to be a serious learning curve that will require immense amounts of patience, I'm sure. But it's going to be so rewarding, too. I'm stoked. So when the kids are with their dad tomorrow night, and Ian is at the bar serving round after to round to most of the people I know, I'll be home. Pedal, push, stitch. Pedal, push, stitch... and only the dog will hear me swear as I learn the ropes.

Today we've got some big cheese in the office. Roquefort. Important bosses in town to present new information to staff. Tonight is a PTA meeting at the kids' school. And I've got some mother's day things to get together for the weekend--especially for my mom. She left me a really sweet voicemail today, full of all the things everyone (including me) has ever wished their mother would say--at least ONCE. She felt compelled to, no doubt, since my anxiety has been back on the rise and officially KO'd me into a corner a few nights ago. I'm better now. Not so shaky. But the point is that it was teaching me something: I have enough on my plate. I need not take on any more right now. Not if I don't have to.

And you've got to love a mother who, despite all the BS we've been through, says: "I don't know what I ever did as your mom to make the voices in your head tell you that you're inadequate, but you need to know that it's not true. You are amazing. Capable. Beautiful. Funny. Talented. Smart. A great friend. And a WONDERFUL mother. I am so proud of you, you have no idea. I'm so proud of my grandsons, too." It went on, but the fact is I listened to that in the middle of my workday and tried to sop up the tears before running into my boss.

I saved the message.

I also needed to make myself laugh--quickly--after that. So I found this, and it worked. Enjoy it.


McCain Vows To Replace Secret Service With His Own Bare Fists

Breathing's gotten easier the past couple of days.

And I have a question: Does the fortune from a fortune cookie count if you don't actually eat the cookie? I guess to be on the safe side I should house this thing. Then again, it did say "It is up to you to create your own adventure today!"
xo

No comments: