Wednesday, July 16, 2008

12 Steppers Would Call it a Gratitude List

Tonight's top miracle list:

10. It's summer, for chrissake.
9. It's not winter in New Haven (see #10)
8. Dried cranberries in my salad, because I'm crunchy like that.
7. New friends. Via Etsy.com
6. Um, Etsy.com. Because how did I buy jewelry, or any gifts for that matter, before Etsy?
5. Laughing with coworkers.
4. Crying with coworkers.
3. Seeing my kids for a bit before they took off for camping during a mid-week vacation with dad (see #5 and #4)
2. Dinner and drinks with my friend Mary.
1. Escaping SBC at 10PM with Mary, when a swarm of crotch-rocket-ridin', crooked-white-hat-wearin' 20somethings descended upon the bar with their very bad facial hair and even worse ink.

It's true: that's #1 tonight. We made it out alive.

There are other things I could include, like the eggplant and peppers and poppies in bloom on my deck (three cheers for container gardening, the best friend of summer-loving apartment dwellers!); a small reserve of coffee-oreo ice cream from Ashley's in my fridge; driving 2-1/2 beers deep home just fine (hey, I'm a lightweight); the AL winning last night's All-Star Game; that moon tonight; this sweaty glass of seltzer beside me; songs stuck in my head; wedding dresses; crunchy raw peppers in my salad; Willoughby's coffee fresh ground and fresh brewed in my pot tomorrow (this is how I know Ian loves me); my dog chewing her bone; fresh-washed fabric ready for ironing and sewing; countdown til the kids come home Saturday; the moonlight splitting across the water at the Seawall on my drive home tonight; ceiling fans; looking forward to dinner tomorrow with Ian, Renee, Jeff...; walking the dog; crickets; seeing how things come full circle; seeing how things take care of themselves; trusting people; trusting the process of life; Grandma's voicemails; Mom calling me at 9PM to have a sane, girlfriend-esque conversation about work/hair/food; the historic house I live next to and whose three chimneys and wood-shingled roof I wake up to every morning; planning the wedding for me and Ian; books (lots of books); the long list of movies I don't have time to watch; this little thing called breath....

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll think of many more while brushing my teeth.

G'night.


And Happy Wednesday.

xo

12 comments:

Liam said...

Winter in New Haven is NOT bad... c'mon... you're right there on the coast... Now if you go 20 miles inland it's a lot worse.

And I'll take the dried cranberries... just plain. Craisins! I love it when they make up words.

Milk Money said...

Made up words are the best. Craisins. Sporks....

The thing about winter in New Haven is that it's NOT all freezing and snowy. That wouldn't be so bad. No, winter in New Haven is dreary, grey, rainy, and hovers around 33 degrees. It's just miserable like that for months on end. Ugh. Winter should be...wintry!!!

Liam said...

Wintry is overrated...

I lived in New Haven 3 years... I loved the weather there... ok... I loved the Spring, Summer and Fall... Winter I tolerated.

Milk Money said...

Good God. You lived here?? Where? When? WHY? (Please don't say Yale, please don't say Yale, please don't say Yale....)

Liam said...

Ok... for the record _I_ didn't go to Yale...

(the wife was in grad school)...

Milk Money said...

Phew. How long ago? You probably lived in East Rock. If so, and if it was in the mid 90s, then you probably went to Lulu's Coffeshop, where I worked for three years.

Or maybe not.

Liam said...

Yeah... We lived 2 blocks south of Science Hill...

Lulu's sounds vaguely familiar... Hey! I know I've been in there! I used to walk past there every day on my way to work... I worked Willow!

Milk Money said...

See? I live in a vortex. I only know you through Blogger and even you walked past where I used to work. What a lil', awesome world. :o)

Liam said...

yeah I know I've been in there... I barely had two nickels to rub together but whenever I did I'd get some coffee on the way to work...

I'm sure I was in there once or twice... I probably even flirted with you... probably not though because I rarely had half a backbone to talk to women.

Milk Money said...

Um...weren't you MARRIED?

Liam said...

We were dating at the time... but in my fantasy life I'm a ladies man who flirts with all women regardless... In real life... not so much.

Milk Money said...

Well, it's good to know you're pretty much just like every other "normal" guy.

I'm not getting much work done today. I really better get back on it.