Thursday, July 24, 2008

Look Around

I'm not going to get into the ups and downs of today or this week. We yoginis do our best to find some sort of stasis or balance in the up and down. But we're not always good at it. Even the wisest old yogis weren't always good at, which is why they stuck with their practice. Gandhi said, "Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances." If only it were that easy.

But I have a lot of things that keep me afloat--like how spoiled I am with two amazing kids, Ian, and some incredible people in my life. I can't complain about anything, really, if I have health and love and a sunny dinnertime to walk the dog. It's only Thursday, and already this week I've had a lunchtime thunderstorm lobster roll with Heide, a car ride with Grandma and the kids, a fun dinner with mom that included regular girl talk and trying on clothes, and dinner with my friend Mary and the three crazy kids between us. I've gotten flowers from Ian and surprise truffles that I shared with Heide in between eating cherries at work. I mean, seriously, what the hell do I have to complain about?

So tonight I'm going to take the dog for that sunny dinnertime walk. I'm going to enjoy a few quiet moments in the house while the kids are with their dad. I'm going to pour myself a tall glass of wine, sew (I really should be careful with the drinking and sewing, given my impaled sobriety at the machine), and enjoy my absolute favorite Beatles song, ever, from my favorite Beatles album, ever. That, and the sound of the sprinkler chick-chick-chicking across hydrangeas in my yard really snaps ya back to the beauty of the moment.





You know, you can be the example of peace amidst chaos without being a doormat. I'm trying to find that balance without feeling like everything hangs in it.

Happy Thursday.
xo

No comments: