Thursday, August 21, 2008

American Dream, in Excess

This week it's all about the move. It goes without saying that the apartment's a wreck and the house is "getting there". We've got lots of furniture in the new place, and much more to come this Saturday when we rent the truck.

In the meantime, though, I've got packing to do. The kids are with their father for the next two nights, so I can actually have some time -- and energy -- to get my things into boxes. Most nights I'm too wiped out to do anything by the time the kids get home/eat/take baths/read stories/go to bed. And since my cortisol levels have skyrocketed in recent weeks, I need Serious Downtime. It's the only way to cope with the anxiety/lovely panic disorder I have that rears its ugly, dark head in times of great stress. No matter how positive the situation, if it is also stressful then I need to lower the other stress triggers I have in my life.

Case in point: Not only have I quit coffee in recent weeks, this morning I didn't even drink my tea.

But back to moving: As of Saturday night, I will officially be out of my apartment and into my new place. This morning, the kids said goodbye to their room and their home, since they won't see it again. They quickly asked if we could drive by the "new house" on our way to camp. I obliged, and as we drove past it they eagerly waved at it and yelled, "Hi, new house!!!! See you Saturday!!!" I'm glad they're doing so well with all the change. I'm sure it will be a bumpy transition at times when we get in there, but it's all positive and good. And that's what I've been focusing on.

In the end, what is there to be anxious about? I'm happy. Things are going well. And I'm pretty blessed in this life. In fact, when you consider it, I'm one of the lucky few in this world. Not just because I have a house, but because of all the other non-material blessings my life has received.

So I appreciate what I have, because it's all a gift. Even the anxiety and panic teaches me something...something like, well....something that maybe John McCain could learn from:




McCain not sure how many houses he and wife own


Published: August 21, 2008
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Days after he cracked that being rich in the U.S. meant earning at least $5 million a year, Republican presidential candidate John McCain acknowledged that he wasn't sure how many houses he and his wealthy wife actually own.

''I think -- I'll have my staff get to you,'' McCain responded to a question posed by Politico, according to a story Thursday on the publication's Web site. ''It's condominiums where -- I'll have them get to you.''

Later, the McCain campaign told Politico that McCain and his wife, Cindy, have at least four in three states, Arizona, California and Virginia. Newsweek recently estimated the two owned at least seven properties.

*******


Wow, huh?

Happy Thursday!

xo

2 comments:

Liam said...

Quit coffee??? Quit coffee??????

For the love of god woman, I had no idea it had gotten to this point.

Milk Money said...

It was a critical, if unfortunate choice. I'll have a cup once in a while, but honestly...I don't need it. I've got a natural speed that works against me when I have too much caffeine.

The upshot is that a glass of wine or beer can be a good antidote to the naturally cracked-out thing I've got goin'....

xo