Thursday, August 14, 2008

Keys.

The thing about packing before a big move is that you're forced to face all kinds of relics from your past. Items buried in drawers or stuck on shelves; things that have meaning and things that are completely insignificant. In tonight's packing adventures, I came across two pens--a Cross and a Waterman, both high school graduation gifts. Not only do I still have these pens 17 years later, I have the original little sleeves they came in, too.

I also came across keys. Lots of keys. I dumped out a box that had, for a long time, been by the front door of my old house and, eventually, the apartment I'm now preparing to leave. The box was full of change, buttons, random rocks and sea glass, pins, and keys. I don't know to what locks the keys belong. I do know that I have carried them with me for far too long. Without hesitation, I picked each and every one of them out of the pile of change and tossed them into the garbage.

It's time to keep only the keys that unlock the doors to my life today.

xo

4 comments:

Liam said...

we have a ton of old keys at our house too...

We give them to the kids to play with... Not sure how that fits in with your symbolism thingy you had going there... but the kids love them...

Milk Money said...

Yeah. It doesn't fit at all. Thanks for screwing it all up! ;o)

Kids do love keys. Mine, however, seem to prefer screwdrivers and paper clips. And tape. Good God! Sean loves tape. Everything gets covered in scotch tape...Hmmmm...

Anonymous said...

"It's time to keep only the keys that unlock the doors to my life today."

awesome! as i head off to work today i think i'll use that as my day's mantra. you continue to inspire...

Milk Money said...

Thank you!! :o)

xo