Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back to the New Old Routine

I'm back at work after more than a week off, and I feel completely out of it. It's going to take me at least half the day to get through all of the emails (that are still rolling in...), and I have to duck-out midmorning to take Nolan to his PreK orientation. Not that he needs it. He's a pro among the ABC and graham cracker set. And, since it's his last year of preschool--he's in preK 4--he thinks of himself as an upperclassman of sorts. In fact, he likes to refer to his new class as "PreK WAR", because that just sounds cooler--and he emphasizes the "war" with a loud, primal, battle-cry.

Meanwhile, I walked Sean to school this morning, glad to be able to do that in our new 'hood. Along the way, he stopped and picked a dandelion for me. Once there, he took off into the school yard, so happy to see so many friends after summer. It was so sweet to see all the kids running up to each other, hugging and high-fiving, excited to be big-time first-graders.

Then the bell rang, and away they went. With a quick hug and kiss and without a look back, Sean took off with his friends into school for a new year of learning. The staggered chorus of "I love you" from parents in the school yard was drowned out by the children's laughter and joking. I waved goodbye to Sean with the morning sun at my back, a small dandelion held tight in my right hand.

Happy Tuesday.
xo

2 comments:

soozies said...

I was thinking about you today. I'm glad you and the boys are well. Life is a series of paths and journeys, (!!!) some unexpected, some blind, some fantastic, some joyful. I'm glad our paths intersected for a while. I miss you and wish you the best. Peace, Suzy

Milk Money said...

Everything changes, and everything stays the same. Be well. xo