Friday, November 7, 2008

Obama Mama

Obama won. And for the first time in many years, I feel really proud to be an American. I've always been proud...but this time it's different. It's not a defensive pride, as it was in the wake of 9/11. It is not a blind pride, as it was when I was a kid and thought our country was impervious to just about everything. Now, I just appreciate what it means to be an American. Yes, our country's kind of in the shitter. But it's also full of amazing idealism and integrity like no where else, and those two things will help our country rebound under the direction of a new president--one who does not set himself apart or above other Americans. I am proud to have voted for Obama. Yes we could, and yes we did.

In the meantime, I've got this funny life that I live with two kids, an amazing guy, and two dogs. I sometimes feel a disconnect from some of my girlfriends. I'm out of synch in a way, since I had my children either way after or way before some of them became moms. I've carved my own niche and have become close to a couple of moms whose children are the same age as mine. And my friend Mary and I were clearly related in a past life. I feel so blessed to be friends with her now. But as for some of my closest friends with kids, right now I get to enjoy their new babies and toddlers, wondering how those years went by so quickly with my own kids--and how on earth I ever did it by myself for almost three years.

I gotta say, though, it's pretty freakin' nice to be out of the diaper and baby-gate stage...




Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Claire Voiante said...

WOW! Lawn Darts rule!! Maybe we'll see those and other nostalgic items on the White House lawn in the coming years. Nice to have a young family back in the White House again too...

I am certainly excited about what an Obama presidency will bring to our beleaguered nation. He is very articulate to be sure, and seemingly has the intellect and composure to be successful in the highest office of the most powerful nation on earth. However, I am a little skeptical about his level of experience, alleged ties to unsavory organizations and religious affiliations. I voted for him, primarily because of bitterness at the incompetence of the Bush administration. I remain disenfranchised with America so far in the 21st Century, and came across a political graphic that does a fairly good job in capturing this sentiment.

http://www.cafepress.com/usa21stcentury

Milk Money said...

Funny graphic. Yes...it is nice to have a young family back in the White House again. In fact, my kids are jealous. "I think Mom should become president so WE can live in the White House," said my oldest son.
xo