Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What's in Yours?

I enjoyed a blissful, quiet moment next to my husband after work yesterday. And in that moment my mind was racing a millions miles an hour as usual with thoughts of everything from cooking dinner to our next vacation. In the middle of that, I thought about fidelity--and infidelity--and maybe at the same time I was thinking of what the kids would have for lunch today at school, because the following came to me:



Marriage (maybe even all relationships, even life general) is like a lunch box. You get out of it what you put into it. So if all you pack is a hard-boiled egg and an apple, guess what you're going to find when you open the box? (Pause.) Right. A hard-boiled egg and an apple.



Sometimes it's fun to swap and share lunches as a kid, something my kids rarely do because Sean's food allergies prevent him from accepting most random cookies and similar treats. But as an adult, it's really not all that fun. You pay for it later, that's for sure. Indigestion ain't the half of it.



So if you want a cookie in your lunchbox, or if you want more cookies in your marriage, stock up! Pack 'em. Since a marriage requires a lunch box built for two, it might be good to ask your spouse what they want in the box, too. And if you want to surprise each other, it's better to do it with sweet and healthy things, rather than with, say, sour grapes. Or a Ziploc bag full of something rotten. Just keep it interesting!


I think you get what I'm saying, right? I mean, after one marriage that didn't end so well, and one that, so far, is great despite life's curve-balls and challenges, I feel like I might actually know what I'm talking about. Maybe. Who knows.



xo

No comments: